Thursday 16 June 2011

TRUE MASCULINITY

'...being a real man means being responsible, dependable, humble, and strong. It means pouring yourself out for your wife and kids. It means walking closely with Christ and taking care of people in need. Seriously, who cares about what kind of clothes a guy wears? Who cares what kind of car he drives? What could possibly be more irrelevant? I have guys in my church who are loud, big, and dedicated to mixed martial arts and beer. And I have guys who are soft-spoken, cerebral, and oblivious to sports and cars. Guess who are more of a headache for me as a pastor? And guess who are more reliable, faithful, dependable, and better husbands and fathers? I'm not convinced that the way to raise up men in my church is run around like some pro-Jesus hybrid of Jesus "The Toolman" Taylor and Steve McQueen. Instead, men need to be taught, trained, and challenged and then set loose to serve God with their individual personalities and temperaments.'
Mike McKinley, Church Planting is For Wimps, p.102.