Sunday 8 April 2012

THE OLD TESTAMENT

'There is something wrong with a Christianity which rejects the Old Testament, or even with a Christianity which imagines that we are essentially different from the Old Testament saints. If any of you are tempted to feel like that, I would invite you to read the Book of Psalms, and then to ask yourself whether you can honestly say from your experience some of the things the Psalmists said. Can you say, "When my father and my mother forsake me, then the Lord will take me up"? Can you say, "As the hart pantenth after the waterbrooks, so pantenth my soul after thee, O God?" Read the Psalms and the statements made in them, and I think you will agree that these men were children of God with a great and rich spiritual experience.'
Martyn Lloyd-Jones, Faith on Trial: Studies in Psalm 73, p.12.