Friday 12 July 2013

BODY AND SOUL

'I took to studying the ones of my teachers who were also preachers, and also the preachers that came to speak in chapel and at various exercises. In most of them I saw the old division of body and soul that I had known at The Good Shepherd. The same rift ran through everything at Pigeonville College, the only difference was that I was able to see it more clearly, and to wonder at it. Everything bad was laid on the body, and everything good was credited to the soul. It sacred me a little when I realized that I saw it the other way around. If the soul and body really were divided, then it seemed to me that the worst sins - hatred and anger and self-righteousness and even greed and lust - came  from the soul. But there preachers I'm talking about all thought that the soul could do no wrong, but always had its face washed and its pants on and was in agony over having to associate with the flesh and the world. And yet these same people believed in the resurrection of the body.' 
Wendell Berry, Jayber Crow, p.49.