Tuesday 29 May 2018

YOU CAN LOVE WITHOUT APPROVING

'Last year an old friend of mine came out to me as a lesbian. She called and said, "I've been avoiding telling you this, but I like girls. I know that you don't approve."
I was grateful that she called me. She is an old, dear friend. So I asked her a simple question: "Do you think I wouldn't understand?"
She: "No, I know you'd understand. It's that you don't approve. I can't take knowing that you don't approve of me."
Me: "Did we always approve of each other?"
She: "No. No, we didn't."
Me: "We've disagreed on everything! Pixar films, chicken nuggets, spankings! We have never approved of each other, but we have always loved each other. True?"
She: "Very true. We've never approved. We've always loved."
ME; "So why are you changing the rules on me?"
Rosaria Butterfield, The Gospel Comes with a House Key: Practicing Radically Ordinary Hospitality in Our Post-Christian World, p.52.